1. 44 miles to New York City. Three on/off exits from the Merritt Parkway service New Canaan making it convenient to all areas of town. Easy access also to I-95.
2. Next Station to Heaven. Metro North trains start and end in New Canaan. The train is waiting in the morning with assured seating and returns you to the village at night. Truly a unique arrangement.
3. Schools. We have the top school system in the state and New Canaan has been called by Forbes Magazine one of the top 3 in the country for towns in which the average home costs more that $800,000.
4. Taxes. We enjoy one of the lowest tax rates in the county yet maintain excellent services for all our residents.
5. Village. The charming village is our pride and joy and clearly sets us apart from other towns which share our demographics. Our town center is free of the traffic of US1 and so affords all the ability to walk, shop, dine and enjoy the unique ambience. School children can be seen walking down South Avenue toward town after school.
6. Restaurants. We're the destination of choice for fine dining in the county. Three new restaurants will be joining the scene in the near future. We are also host to the #1 ranked Asian/Fusion restaurant in Connecticut, Ching's Table.
7. Clubs. The Country Club of New Canaan, the Lake Club and Field Club for summer sports and paddle, The Winter Club for hockey and skating, Racquet Club for indoor tennis and the YMCA which is one of the finest in the country.
8. Waveny Park. Designed by the landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead, renowned for designing Central Park, Waveny boasts over 250 acres of woods, meadows and running trails as well as sports fields, paddle tennis courts, Carriage Art Barn, The Powerhouse Theater, Lapham Community Center and Spencer's Run, New Canaan's off-leash dog park. Our Town Pool is located in Waveny and is a recent addition to our wonderful town facilities.
9. Recreation. Mead Memorial Park with baseball fields, playground, and snack bar, Kiwanis Park boasts a large swimming pond, playground and snack bar, Irwin Park has 36 acres and features a newly designed and surfaced trail for jogging/walking/biking. Some of these facilities require permits which are available at the Recreation Department in Waveny Park.
10. Community Spirit. From Christmas Caroling on God's Acre to our Memorial Day Parade down Main Street, to the Ice Cream Social at the Historical Society and our spectacular 4th of July celebration complete with fireworks at Waveny Park, we above all share the guiding belief that all are welcome. While young families move in, our baby boomers and seniors seem to be staying on, making our community rich in its diversity.